Section 430 criminalises “grossly indecent acts”, punishable by two years imprisonment and/or a fine. While the language is gender-neutral, only sexual acts between men are criminalised under this provision.1
Types of criminalisation
- Criminalises sex between men
Commonwealth member state
1. Criminal Code 1987, Section 430 Committing Grossly Indecent Act
Whoever publicly and wilfully commits any grossly indecent act is guilty of a misdemeanour.
73. General rules for punishment
(2) Where a crime is declared by this Code or by any other statute, to be a misdemeanour, and the punishment for it is not specified, a person convicted thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for two years, or to a fine of four thousand dollars, or to both.” Full text.
2. Criminal Code 1987, Section 431 Unnatural Crime
“If any two persons are guilty of unnatural connexion, or if any person is guilty of unnatural connexion with any animal, every such person shall be liable to imprisonment for ten years.” Full text.