The UK Alliance for Global Equality (The UK Alliance) stands in solidarity with the millions of LGBT+ people around the world who are consistently denied justice and safety – the two interlinking themes of today’s International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia (IDAHOBIT). As a coalition of UK-based civil society organisations working together to promote and support progress in global LGBT+ rights, we use our collective resources and influence to promote the human rights and equality of LGBT+ individuals and communities outside the UK, to end persecution and discrimination.
Across the world LGBT+ people are refused justice and denied safety. In 73 jurisdictions LGBT+ people are criminalised for who they are and who they love. They face discrimination, violence and exclusion from health services, education and employment and in some cases, the death penalty.
Members of The UK Alliance understand that ensuring that LGBT+ people can access safety and justice requires a range of skills. Working with LGBT activists across the world, our members are fighting for justice for LGBT+ people by:
- Challenging and supporting changing the laws that mean that currently more than a billion people live in countries where same sex relations are illegal.
- Working with the UK Government and international bodies to challenge the impunity enjoyed by those who torture and murder our community, such as in countries like Chechnya.
- Providing psychosocial support, legal advice and advocacy to get a better deal for LGBT+ people in search of sanctuary in other countries.
- Developing partnerships and networks with LGBT+ organisations in countries around the world to support their efforts to build capacity, attract resources and become sustainable.
But even when laws are improved, LGBT+ people around the world continue to be denied protection. Our members work to support those forced to live in fear including through:
- Using research, communications and public campaigning with our global partners to change the conversation about LGBT+ people, moving hearts and minds.
- Working with employers of all sizes to ensure that they do their part to eliminate discrimination in the workplace against LGBT+ people and help improve the lives of all LGBT+ people.
- Providing crisis support to LGBT+ people being denied the right to health, including access to condoms, lubricants, ARVs and other appropriate HIV services.
- Offering safety and security training for LGBT+ activists in hostile environments to protect human rights defenders against violence and abuse.
The UK Alliance brings together organisations that deploy a diverse set of tools and tactics. What unites us is our vision of a world where everyone can participate fully in their society, whatever their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Find out more about what individuals members of the UK Alliance are doing to mark IDAHOBIT, by visiting their websites.